I’m waaay behind the ball on this, but I (not so) recently got nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award by Terri at Write Out Of the Darkness and Angela at Oxygen4theJourney.
BUT then, I also got nominated for the Liebster Award by Martie at Is That a Hair in My Biscuit.
So I’m doing an award mash-up. It’s a monster of a post but was HEAPS of fun to write. I’m sure everyone has award-fatigue by now but hopefully this will still be enjoyable to read too.
The One Lovely Blog Award nominations are chosen by fellow bloggers for those newer and up-and-coming bloggers. The goal is to help give recognition and also to help the new blogger to reach more viewers. It also recognizes blogs that are considered to be “lovely” by the fellow bloggers who choose them. This award recognizes bloggers who share their story or thoughts in a beautiful manner to connect with viewers and followers. In order to “accept” the award the nominated blogger must follow several guidelines:
– Thank the person who nominated you for the award. (Thanks Terri and Angela! You guys rock.)
– Add the One Lovely Blog logo to your post.
– Share 7 facts or things about yourself
– Nominate 15 bloggers you admire and inform the nominees by commenting on their blog.
The rules for the Liebster Award are:
– Post the award on your blog.
– Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog. (Thanks Martie! You rock also.)
– Write 11 random facts about yourself.
– Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
– Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
OK, One Lovely Blog asks for 7 facts, whereas the Liebster Award asks for 11, so I’m going to split the difference and give you 9:
9 facts about Meg:
– My first pregnancy left me with a gluten sensitivity; my second pregnancy left me with a sensitivity to dairy. Before this happened I was also vegetarian for about eleven years but I couldn’t cope with all the restrictions so have reintroduced some meat (for now…) to make things simpler. I’ve never been formally diagnosed but know from much experimentation with myself over several years that “cheating” on gluten and dairy just isn’t worth it anymore (I won’t go into the gory details. Let’s just say, if you’re experiencing chronic, painful butt issues, try cutting out gluten for a few days and see how you go…).
– I have a bachelor degree on the saxophone and have formal training in singing and piano as well. I’ve also tinkered with clarinet, ukulele, double bass, recorder, electronic music, and tabla, and have taught music theory at university level. I’ve never been obsessed enough to get ridiculously good at one instrument so figured I’d work at being ok at playing a range of them instead.
– I used to be a full-on Goth and DJ’d at clubs and everything. In my heart I still am (that opening guitar riff to Happy House by Siouxsie and the Banshees never fails to bring a smile to my face) but I don’t really feel comfortable in all that lace and PVC and makeup anymore. I’ll still get dressed up for special occasions, but keep it subdued so I don’t give off that whole “mutton dressed as lamb” vibe.
– I adore handmade lace so taught myself how to tat, crochet and make bobbin lace from books. Only the crochet has stuck, although I still get the urge to tat every now and then.
– Back in ninth grade we had to do fitness tests in PE where we performed some activities, recorded our results, then compared them to a chart to see where our strengths and weaknesses were. I was away doing band stuff for most of them but was back in time for the 100m sprint and 1.4km run. For both of them, my times were so slow, they weren’t even on the chart. Not gonna lie, that was my proudest achievement in PE ever.
– I like to unwind doing pen and paper puzzles. Word-wise I’m a fan of cryptic crosswords, but I prefer number puzzles like pixel puzzles, Slitherlink, and other maze-type ones that rely on deduction and cross-referencing in a grid.
– I make a really mean soup. Like, I’m seriously good at it. Throw me ANY ingredients and I can make a beautiful soup out of them. Here’s one I made last week:
It was even more delicious and hearty than it looks.
– Claims to fame: I was an extra in Babe 2 and The Matrix 3. I also was a go-go dancer for The B52s once (best night of my life!).
– I’m choosing to blog (relatively) anonymously so I can a) feel free to be honest without fear of hurting anyone’s feelings, and b) protect my kids from scrutiny. That’s why I won’t include photos of my kids’ faces or other family members. That being said, if you knew me in real life it wouldn’t be hard to draw the connection!
Martie’s questions for the Liebster Award:
1. What color is your hair? Tell the truth, now. – Dirty blonde. I used to bleach it white blonde and dye it all sorts of bright colours (blue was my favourite) but I just don’t have the time or inclination these days.
2. What kind of car do you drive? – I don’t drive! I moved to the inner west of Sydney at 16 and just never got around to getting a license. Starting to feel the lack of it now so hopefully we can find the time (and money!) for driving lessons soon.
3. What is your favorite kind of gum? – Sugar-free spearmint.
4. Where were you when you had your first kiss? – At a party playing spin the bottle. I had a massive crush on the boy in question but he was an AWFUL kisser. I was so conflicted.
5. Do you wear glasses or contacts? – Nope. *knocks on wood*
6. How many siblings do you have? – Two – one brother, one sister. Both are older than me (youngest children represent!)
7. Where did you go on your last vacation? – The Gold Coast, for an Aunt’s 60th birthday.
8. Where are you going on your next vacation? – My parent’s place, out near Orange. We really have no financial buffer so only ever go places where we can stay with family.
9. What was your worst job ever? – Doing market research over the phone. Totally soul-crushing. ALWAYS be nice to telephone marketers! Chances are they hate calling you as much as you hate being called…
10. Have you ever had a bad haircut? Explain! – Of course! When I was a wee gothling in the late 90s I rocked a short, black pixie cut with extra-long fringe, that was half black and half bleached white. I thought it was the coolest thing ever but lacked the knowledge to style it well, so looking back at photos I’m all like “What was I thinking?!”
11. Where is your favorite place to write? – Since I got an iPhone – anywhere! If I wait until I get to a “perfect” place to write I never get anything down. My phone is always on me, so I’ll whip it out and open up the Notes app whenever I want (mostly when I’m breastfeeding and/or sitting in a dim room waiting for little ones to be fast asleep). If I feel the need to physically write I will curl up in the rocking chair with paper and pen in the middle of the night, when it’s cosy and quiet and I can be totally alone with my thoughts.
My questions to my nominees:
1. What do you enjoy most about blogging?
2. Do you have pets? Why/Why not?
3. What’s your biggest regret in life so far?
4. What is your proudest achievement?
5. What’s your signature dish?
6. What is your strangest talent/hobby?
7. If you could have any super power, what would you pick, and why?
8. Where do you picture yourself in twenty years’ time?
9. What are you reading at the moment?
10. If you sat with your own brain, how would you picture it? Cheeky monkey? Child? Well-oiled machine? Spacious, light-filled room? Something else?
11. Do you enjoy receiving this attention or are you currently cursing my name?
And finally, here are my nominees!
I’ve split the difference between both awards and gone with 13 here. You guys can choose whichever award you want if you feel like participating (or even just answer my questions or whatever). Some of you probably already have heaps of followers, or have already been nominated for one or both of these awards multiple times so don’t feel obligated to do it again. I just think you’re great and deserve as much exposure as you can get:
Kyaru (and bunnies) – Spunky chick in the Philippines who was the first person to comment on my blog. I love her observations on things.
Still Life With Grad Student – Ramblings of an Austrian English student that hit the nail on the head for me.
Fit Loose Health – Not a new blog, but I’m including them here because they have the best health tips and recipes on the ‘net. For real. I’m not even slightly exaggerating.
Perspectives on… – Terri is an absolute sweetheart who leaves the nicest comments and is really encouraging all the time. Plus she has great perspectives on… everything!
The Rabbit Hole – She blogs about depression so perfectly. A definite must-read for anyone affected by that black dog.
april4june6: A journal of self-transformation – She explores similar issues to me and I love the format of writing a letter to the day.
Natso’s not so personal blog – Fellow Cracked fan and recently became a father (and announced it in a really cool way).
Running Away to Booktopia – For the love of books. And knitting. And other random stuff.
All Sorted Out – A great, local decluttering service that I wish I could justify spending the money on. I’ll just settle on being inspired by their blog.
Wrinkles and Dust – I particularly LOVE this post where she personifies her depression and analyses it.
The Creatory – This is the blog for the craft shop that I’ve just started selling crochet goodies through. They are passionate about all things crafty and just all round awesome people.
Freshfield Grove – Farmer Fi’s thoughts and adventures while establishing her new olive farm in Tasmania.
A Momma’s View – Expat from Switzerland living in Australia and blogging about parenting and stuff.
Anybody else want to do this? There are HEAPS of other people I follow and who follow me who are worthy of awards – it’s just taken me aaaaages to sift out these guys (apparently if I only follow you in my reader in the iPhone app you won’t show up in the “Blogs I Follow” menu on my dashboard… D’oh!) and I want to post this already! If you’re feeling left out just let me know and I’ll tack you on. 😉
Special mention also goes to Dusty, who always leaves me THE NICEST comments and makes me grin – but I’m not sure she would like me linking to her ever-changing blog so I’ll just name-drop here so she knows I appreciate her. ❤